PDA

View Full Version : Replacing my CPU fan with a better CPU fan, is it hard?

02-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Hi

Just wondering if I want to replace my CPU fan with a better CPU fan, is it hard? I heard that some fans would not work on some type of motherboards, so could any one give me some tips of replacing or installing a CPU fan... or if possible a set instruction.

I running Win98Se, MS-5187 Mirco ATX V16 mother board.

Thanks alot. Any tips will be really grateful

03-04-2002, 03:34 PM
My mate has a p3 733mhz and he just upgrade from the stock fan that he got with the chip to a Volcano, know these are big F@ckin fans and you can have them running up around about 9000 rpm so it will cover you for what you need, the only problem is that he has a midi tower and the board and fan sits on it side and because the fan is so big, it pulls one side of the chip off the board which inturn breaks connection and shuts down the computer.

But to answer your question in a nut shell it is piss easy to change over your fan. providing that fan is compatible with that chip AMD, Celeron, P3 whatever. just take into account the weight of the fan.

Peace, Dog.

03-04-2002, 04:35 PM
Thanks alot :-)

06-04-2002, 09:57 PM
I'm very doubtful that the Volcano 7 is pulling the socket off his mobo. If the h/s was, then the mobo would be wrecked and unusable.

The Volcano 7 is heavy but not overly so and unless you gave your case a large knock or dropped it the socket and h/s should be fine.