PDA

View Full Version : Paradise.net - Any good?

02-04-2002, 07:13 PM
I've had a gutsful of xtra after this weekend. 23 minutes to get into this site, couldn't get to theirs at all, surfing so slow it was almost backwards! Can't tell me it's me when today I can download @ 10megs an hour (I know this doesn't rate with you Jetstream guys but I can't get that service here in the middle of Hamilton!).
I've tried The Net, a local outfit but left them for reasons of backup service (well, lack of it really). I've heard good things of Paradise.net. Is anybody here using it, and if so, is it as good as the reviews say? They seem to be reasonably priced. What's the online speed like? Feedback appreciated.
Regards,
Ray A.

02-04-2002, 07:29 PM
Ray

I changed from Xtra to Paradise a few months ago. Several observations:

* Paradise connects first time. Xtra used to re-dial up to 7 times during mid-evening.

* Download speed of mp3's is faster on Paradise.

* Xtra was 48,000 33,000 bps.

* Paradise is 52,000 or 53,333 bps.

* Only had 1 time where it wouldn't connect, phoned Paradise, rep there said that they were having issues and should be ok in a couple of hours. He was right.

* I seemed to spend a bit of time on Xtra's helpline, generally due to the connection limiting itself to 21,600, seemed to be a three monthly event. Xtra helpdesk reps always blamed my settings and make me re-load /update modem drivers. It would connect to ZFree at 52,000 when Xtra's speed was 21,600. Xtra staff never seemed to admit the system was down or having problems.

* Emails seem to come through quicker on Paradise.

I recommend Paradise. I just hope they don't get too busy.

They also have free web hosting. No adverts :-) It's a contorted URL but get a short url address and re-direct.

J.

02-04-2002, 08:16 PM
paradise have almost always been very good(was bad a few weeks ago but as come right since). no spam on emailc yet, always connect and a help desk that is helpfull if you can get through to them;-)

the only draw backs is not having an unlimited plan :(

02-04-2002, 11:14 PM
Hi,have been a Paradise customer for about three years
now,always get a free line and most times always get good download speeds.Also good response from helpdesk. In regards to previous post,i would term 250 hours per month near a unlimited connection.

02-04-2002, 11:15 PM
Hi,have been a Paradise customer for about three years
now,always get a free line and most times always get good download speeds.Also good response from helpdesk. In regards to previous post,i would term 250 hours per month near a unlimited connection.

02-04-2002, 11:59 PM
250hrs near unlimited lol ;-)

used to do 350-400 hrs when we had the xtra acc(2nd phone line) try downloading movies on a rural connection.

think about it....a mere 100hrs of normall city downloading can equal 200-400hrs rural downloading for the same megabyte.

03-04-2002, 12:37 AM
Ray,
I've only been with Paradise for a few months - I switched from Voyager when they pulled the plug on their domestic service.
No problems at all. Voyager was very good but have had just as good service from Paradise. Normally connect at 49333 which is as good as you'll get in Nelson I think.
Go for it.
I like 'tweak e''s posting. He uses 350 - 400 hrs per month!!! That's about 17 Hrs a day - EVERY DAY OF THE MONTH !
When do you sleep Tweak e ?
Rgds
Grant

03-04-2002, 12:53 AM
I started off with Xtra but found I was forever getting disconnected after only a few minutes. I posted to this site asking what others thought of Paradise and just about everyone had good things to say about them. Jester helped me with switching advice and I have been very pleased with the service. Occasionally I have to redial, but it's not a big problem. And since changing, I haven't had any of those 'unpleasant' emails - the sort with subject lines that make you think twice about opening them. Not sure if it was Xtra's fault but I was a bit sickened by some of the stuff I was being sent - I wouldn't have a clue where it came from, but I haven't seen any with Paradise.

03-04-2002, 01:36 AM
350-400hrs is not unreasonable. That wouldn't be all actively surfing, alot of it would be leaving the computer with a download manager running going through a list of downloads. When ever the connection drops the download manager would dial up again and resume downloading.

It's like the limits on broadband internet, it might be fine if you just do regular surfing, but not if downloading lots of stuff.

JM

JM

03-04-2002, 12:24 PM
Being on cable, i am not able to comment on (non)connection issues, however as i am on 24/7 and spend far too much time in front of my computer, i can comment on the reliability of the other aspects of paradises service.
Over the last year since moving to paradise from ihugs 'ultra', (which i would not recomend to anyone) paradiises system has given the following problems:
1. I was unable to pick up my email for several minutes , as pop.paradise.net.nz was slow to the point of being useless. This unexceptable fault lasted up to 10 minutes!
2. I had a weird one when interspeed, who i have my email addresses domain name registered with, were down for the evening. Paradises SMTP server refused to except my chris@mxxxxxxxx.co.nz identity, which seemed to have temperaraly ceased to exsist. This stopped me from sending mail, untill interspeeds DNS servers were on again, and mxxxxxxxx.co.nz re-existed.
3. The news server has stopped responding once, right in the middle of a large download.
Anyway, that is the problems that effected me via my paradise/cable connection in just over a year. Compared to ihug, this truly is 'paradise'

03-04-2002, 01:52 PM
I have been with Paradise for over 2 years and can recommend them. Service desk is excellent. Nearly no busy dial ups - 99% of time get thru first time. AND NO JUNK MAIL LIKE WITH XTRA!!!! (I am still with xtra as a back up but have given up the email part.)

03-04-2002, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone - I'm convinced! I have sent off my application - I was surprised that they only offered mail or fax response - don't they trust email? Anyway, I will look forward to some improved 'Wet Sunday' surfing.
Regards,
Ray A.

04-04-2002, 09:17 PM
HEY JESTER!

hey, i was just reading your reply on Rays' post.
And i got up to this:

* I seemed to spend a bit of time on Xtra's helpline, generally due to the connection limiting itself to 21,600, seemed to be a three monthly event. Xtra helpdesk reps always blamed my settings and make me re-load /update modem drivers. It would connect to ZFree at 52,000 when Xtra's speed was 21,600. Xtra staff never seemed to admit the system was down or having problems.

U said you were limited to coonecting @ 21600bps for a while.
Well I've only being connecting @ that speed for about 4 mnths.
So we changed ISP (we were with infogen :( ) to paradise, thinking it would fix the problem, but no luck.
We rang tech support and they change some settings, but no luck. They then told me to update our driver and still no luck.
So I was just wondering if it was just with Xtra that u were connecting @ 21600bps, or paradise as well.
And do you no if u changed anything to fix it?
Cheers