PDA

View Full Version : Bios Upgrade

01-04-2002, 09:27 PM
I'm having problems getting my PC to run my new 40gb drive - it will only recognise it as 32gb - I have an Award BIOS which appears to be the issue - I can't find any patches on the web and have repeatedly emailed Award to get info - no responses so far.
Can anyone suggest a site for a patch, or where I can locally source a replacement BIOS.
Thx John

01-04-2002, 09:38 PM
You can try your hard drives manufacturer's website to see if they have an 'overlay' program which is a program that enables full capacity of hard drives for BIOSes that have limit this.

01-04-2002, 09:39 PM
You need to determine the manufacturer and model of your motherboard, and visit the manufacturers site for a bios upgrade. While Award's name is on it, the bios is usually customised by the mobo manufacturer for their specific requirements.

02-04-2002, 01:12 AM
If you don't know the make and model of your m/b I may be able to help. If your PC has a standard startup display (as opposed to proprietary ones like Compaq, IBM, HP etc) you should see an alphanumeric code block in the very bottom L hand corner of the screen. You can pause the display during startup so that you can record this BIOS ID string. If you post this string here I have some decoding tables and may be able to determine the make and model of your board.

05-04-2002, 10:47 AM
hey john, had a sim. prob. recently. found out from the maxtor site that 'if your disk is larger than 33.8Gb & u have award 4.51 bios' u r limited to 33.8Gb, and your sys. will hang at the POST.

Solution:
either get (a) smaller drive(s), get a bios update, or use a util. like 'disk manager'