PDA

View Full Version : CD Writer seems cured - thanx

01-04-2002, 11:06 AM
Many thanks to all who have posted suggestions on getting the ailments cured with my CD writer. It seems now, after a day of experimentation, to be cured. I was experiencing complete lockups of the pc when trying to write to the CD. I'm still not 100% sure what fixed it, but it was either 1: changing the IDE drive order, or 2: just unplugging everything and rebuilding. I think it may have been a bit of both. I have changed the drive order to: HD - Pri. Master; zip - Pri. slave; CD Writer - Sec. Master; CD reader - Sec. slave. This is what I thought I had, but not what in fact what was (the writer was sec. slave behind the zip drive). Sometimes just the act of unplugging all the cables and reconnecting them seems to get things going again (refreshes the connections I guess - maybe gold oxide isn't as good a conductor as we are led to believe!). I also upgraded the software (Adaptec Easy CD SE) to ver 4.5, free from their website. I have trialed 6 test writes and 3 actual burns and not one failure! This is a record for this machine! I still suffer buffer underruns if I try to burn at 8X speed, but I guess only a faster HD and Processor will cure that. I can live with 4X and no coasters. So again, many thanks to all who helped.
Regards,
Ray A.