PDA

View Full Version : CD Writers

01-04-2002, 09:16 AM
when choosing a cd writer, is it the software or the hardware thats important for copying disks?Iknow u can download a lot of free software.

01-04-2002, 09:48 AM
Hey.
It's about 6 of one, half a dozen of the other for your question.
The software is all practically the same, just some has more bells and whistles than the other one.
That's the same with the hardware to, they just come out with more bells and whistles.
When i got my CD Writer I got the HP 8200 series, and I use it with the software it came with. I've tried other software with it, - some (if not most) work okay, but others just report an error, and waste a good CDR disk.

01-04-2002, 01:19 PM
Software is a personal thing. Some people like the ease of Adaptec CD Creator (As I do), some people prefer Nero (I personally hate it). Some are easier to use, but do the same thing as the more difficult ones. Basically the software doesn't matter one iota, it is the hardware that you use. The more you are willing to spend on a writer the better the quality, but this is not a hard and fast rule. Go for a burner with a faster writing speed and make sure you have a buffer overrun enabled (this help to prevent creating coasters).

01-04-2002, 07:02 PM
I will try to answer your question a little better than the other 2 replys.

For copying cd,s software & hardware are equally important,
especially for playstation games,a cd writer that can read
96 bytes of sub-channel data is important for most pxs games, as far as I know only Plextor writers can do this and if you can aford it ,these writers can do it all.

Yamaha,Sony,HP{which are sony writers}Acer,Phillips are all good writers and will copy most cd,s as long as you have the right software....

which brings me to using the right software.
Nero burning Rom is the best,period!! It will do it all
It often comes bundled with
the cd writer,so look for that when buying one.
Other good software for copying cd,s is Clone cd and
Blind Write&Blind Read.
they both have websites and you can download a demo version of both to try them out.
I personally would stay away from Easy CD Creator as some of the drivers known to conflict with other software
and can cause alot of trouble,
also it is not very configurable and does not copy
copy-protected cd,s at all.
Nero is as easy to use as Easy cd Creator and will do it all automatically if you want.

Most cd,s have some sort of copy protection these days
so you have to get know about
this.

01-04-2002, 09:18 PM
The 24x Lite-On would be the best burner currently available in New Zealand at the moment.

That is unless you can afford Plextor.

JM