PDA

View Full Version : Internet Problem

31-03-2002, 06:15 PM
This problem arose a few weeks ago. No problem previously.

Our xtra dial-up connection fires up fine but on all sorts of links we are frequently getting an instant 'Page not available' message coming up. If we refresh, the page may come up after one try, or after many tries, or may not come up at all.

I have spoken with xtra and they suggested reinstalling IE6 and downloading updated modem drivers. Did those - and it's better than it was but the problem is still there.

We are running Windows ME, PC-cillin 2000 anti-virus (with recntly updated scan engine and latest pattern file) and Zone Labs. Pretty sure system is virus-free.

Son says his internet gaming is showing very high pings (not sure if that is relevant or related).

Would really appreciate any help.

31-03-2002, 06:56 PM
Don't listen to Xtra, they're lying. This is typical of a wet sunday - the lines clog and xtra blames everyone but the true perpetrator of the problem - themselves. The 'service' from Telecom is pathetic, but what can we do? They have the monopoly on all the lines and services. Surely we should have grounds for action under the Goods and Services legislation, but who's got the cash or the time to fight them? We just have to grin and bear it I suppose. It just took me 23 minutes to bring this site up! and I can't even get onto xtra's own (well, Microsoft-xtra's own) page. (With that combination we're screwed really, aren't we! Have a nice Easter.
Cinically,
Ray A.

31-03-2002, 07:40 PM
23 minutes to bring up this site?!! This is about the 4th time I have logged on to PF1 today and I got straight through as always, and I use a small, cheap ISP. Assuming you both use xtra I suggest you ask around with a view to changing ISP.

31-03-2002, 07:44 PM
I doubt that the problem is in your virus protection or ZA. Check the various security settings, if need be go into IE, Tools, Internet Options, security, try meduim setting and restore the default if you have not already.

Any good....?

I had to reinstall WinME over a existing copy pending time to do a proper reinstall a couple of months ago which already had all the updates and IE6, that screwed up things good with heaps of Page Not Available and other net errors until we had done the reformat and reinstall. You have not something like this have you.

As to whether it is Telecoms fault or not, trust me, telecom is many times better than what we have to put up with here.

31-03-2002, 08:12 PM
could be ip stack going a little screwy. go into network settigs and check them all. make sure you click ok. then reboot. it sometimes helps.

01-04-2002, 12:41 AM
I agree Ray.... I only have probs with Xtra when its a public holiday or as you say a 'rainy sunday'

This Easter has been diabolical

ALAN :-)

01-04-2002, 04:39 PM
From what I've been hearing, just about everyone's internet has been pretty slow over the last few days, mine included. I'm with paradise, and my data transfer speed has dropped about 20% as of Friday afternoon.

I've one friend who has a permanent line with xtra, which automatically reconnects when xtra turfs him off, and his net access died completely, I ended up- lending him my username :)

Evidently there is something somewhere holding up net access, and by the looks of things, whatever has gone wrong is a fundamental parts of xtra's service, even if only a small part of everyone elses.

And who do all ISPs commonly rely on?

TELECOM!

Grrr...

:)

Erin

04-04-2002, 08:40 PM
with xtra it depends on where you live & time of day. I normally connect at 48888 bps. A friend of mine has alsorts of troubles sometimes. Push Xtra or Telecom for a free month now and then, I've got a few from time to time when their lines have been very bad.

04-04-2002, 08:43 PM
Make sure ZoneAlarm is warning you of every atempt to access the net. When I first got ZoneAlam I got blocked by ZA because I had turned off all the warnings & did not know ZA was stopping IE. Oops!