PDA

View Full Version : Failure of A drive

31-03-2002, 02:38 PM
Trying to install a new mouse, my A drive was not recognised by the 'Run' command for the floppy containing the driver. Tried some other floppies with the same result. The D drive works normally. I recently had more memory installed, also a new power unit ( the CPU kept turning itself off, and I was told the power unit was defective). Any suggestions where the fault may lie, please.

31-03-2002, 03:31 PM
Hi Graham, has the A drive worked at all since you 'had more memory and power supply fitted'? It's sometimes very difficult to get at the memory slots and techs will remove strip line cables to make access easier, it may have been put back mis-aligned, but I would have expected it to fail at POST. Just a thought, PC

31-03-2002, 04:23 PM
If you have a startup display which reports what memory, drives etc are found at startup, check that to see if the A drive is recognised at that point. If so, try going into DOS and see if it is recognised there. This may help to pinpoint where the problem lies. If both are negative it suggests the drive is duff - try it in another computer or try another drive in yours.

01-04-2002, 11:17 AM
If the problem occurred after working inside the box, I would suspect that the flat cable connectors (either at the floppy or mobo) have been knocked, and partly dislodged. Often when this happens, there are enough connections made for the bios to recognise the floppy, but data cannot be retrieved. Check the connectors are pressed fully home. On odd occasions, partly dislodged connectors have been known to destroy the floppy drive.

02-04-2002, 01:44 PM
Check the BIOS -- these days, booting from floppies is usually disabled, but it is possible for the floppy to be totally disabled too.

If the LED on the drive is on all the time, that indicates that the cable has been flipped over. And it won't work like that.