PDA

View Full Version : shaaaky monitorrr

30-03-2002, 07:14 PM
Can any one tell me please how to adjust my monitor which keeps slighty shaking at times . The monitor is a model D703x , doesnt appear to have a name(pc company).

I run ME if this is relevant .
TTTAAAA

30-03-2002, 08:13 PM
If it's shakey it sounds as though it needs a repair rather than an adjustment.
1. How old is it?
2. Are the sides of the picture a bit concave or convex rather than straight?

31-03-2002, 12:08 AM
Hiya

Do you receive text messages on a mobile phone? If so, see whether it shakes immediately prior to receiving a text message.

My screen shimmers just before I get a text message or the phone rings. (Using Vodafone). Must be rf interference.

J.

31-03-2002, 09:34 AM
I have the same problem once in a while. Try a manual Degauss (read your manual)
I talked to a Tech about mine and he seems to think it could be a capacitor in the monitor power supply . I unplugged mine from the wall and when plugged back in, it made a loud crack sound.The monitor still works. How long is the monitor on for b4 it shakes. Could be a heat problem.Mines a Philips 107E about 2.5 yrs old.

31-03-2002, 12:51 PM
Had same problem with a 7 year old monitor, at this time of the year it tends to be a overheating problem. Suggest after running for a time put your nose over the top of the monitor, if you can smell hot plastic run a domestic fan onto the air intakes at the sides of the monitor. My shimmering tends to be erratic, do not move the monitor or the video cable, there could be a loose (dry) connection/pin somewhere internally. Got a similar crack to that mentioned above but, fingers crossed, monitor is currently working OK.Frank

02-04-2002, 09:58 PM
Hi Susie

The cause of your problem may well be electromagnetic interference from cables in the wall or other EMF sources.

If the shaking takes the form of a shimmy or wave effect that either affects the whole screen or perhaps just one corner, check your screen refresh rate and if it is set to 60 Hz, increase it to 72 or 85 Hz (or thereabouts according to the options available to you) and see if the problem is less apparent or disappears. Don't worry about screen display changes at this stage as this is only a test and you might be setting in back where it was.

If the problem goes away or the apparent speed of the shaking increases, the cause is an external electromagnetic field. These interference sources often come and go at random and can be caused by any thermostatically controlled appliance (water heater, fridge, deep freeze, oven, airconditioner, dehumidifier etc) as the electrical load switches on and off. If your computer is in a room that backs onto a kitchen or another room with major appliances in it, or is near to the supply to your hot water cylinder these could be good clues. If you don't want to change your screen setings, just turn off any such appliances and see if the shaking stops.

Temporarily moving the computer & screen to another location is also a good way of identifying or eliminating localised interference sources.

If the shaking is 'hard edged' and looks more like a tearing effect then that is likely to be an internal fault. Degaussing won't help as this is just a demagnetising process to remove colour blotches.

Don't overlook the obvious like a loose connection between monitor and computer, but put up a fresh post with more details if the problem persists.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

04-04-2002, 09:32 PM
I have degaussed which appears to have fixed it . Thanx for all the helpful advice I really appreciate it susie