PDA

View Full Version : Printing Folder Lists

29-03-2002, 03:21 PM
In February issue of PC World Lincoln Spector provided a way to print folder lists (in How To, Page 103). I've never created a batch file before but tried it, but when I try to use it I get an error message (Bad command or file name) and a short printout I don't understand. I reexamined the 3 lines of code I entered and all looks ok except that I am not sure about spacing between characters. I put no spaces anywhere - could this be my problem?

29-03-2002, 05:24 PM
Cannot help you with the batch file, I have enough trouble boiling water so a batch file would be........

<http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/>

Check the link above without the <> at each end, there is a freeware program there called printfolder 1.2 that might do what you want. It is small and very easy to install.

If you like it, credit robo for finding it for us.

29-03-2002, 05:26 PM
Yes, definitely Bob. I've just this minute written the batch file and tried it and it works perfectly for me.

Copy and paste this into your notepad file:

@echo off
dir %1 /-p /o:gn> '%temp%\dir.txt'
notepad /p '%temp%\dir.txt'

When you saved it, did you remember to select the All Files in the Save As Type box? If you didn't then it won't save as a .bat file.

Did you also navigate to your Windows, Send To file when you saved it, like the article says?

Have another go and post back your results.

29-03-2002, 06:20 PM
Bob, before you copy and paste my text, click on the View icon alongside my post and copy and paste it from there because the separate lines show up better there.

03-04-2002, 06:47 PM
Gordon, Thanks for your suggestion. I will file it for future reference as someone else helped me get the batch file working - it looks much like Printfolder does, with no need for the 500KB+ download.