PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Sharing problem

28-03-2002, 10:25 PM
PROBLEM: Unable to browse to a range of sites from any workstation on the LAN other than the machine which is directly connected to the modem. eg cannot browse to whitepages.co.nz but can browse to clear.net.nz. The directly connected machine has no problem connecting to anywhere. Email, messaging etc all OK on all machines, and LAN access working fine to & from all machines. Seems to be some block on certain sites which seems to be a random thing.

CONFIG: peer-to-peer 4 wkstn LAN. All workstations running XP. Share a Telecom JetStart ADSL connection using XP ICS.

I have tried a lot of things over several months but short of re-installing Windows nothing seems to help. Any help appreciated!

Dave (Newbie to PressF1)

29-03-2002, 08:06 AM
I am wondering whether in your cache you have the clear.net pages, so in fact, you're not actually going to the site but in reality looking at cached pages. That would mean that you are not browsing at all.

I don't use either XP od ICS (I try to avoid M$ products as much as possible). I use Proxy+ which is reasonably easy to set up if you're computer inclined and free. www.proxyplus.cz

29-03-2002, 09:08 PM
Sounds as if the lan connected workstations are having DNS resolution problems. Try setting the TCP/IP properties for 'Default Gateway' and 'Preferred DNS server' to the local IP address for the PC that has the ADSL connection.