PDA

View Full Version : defragment

28-03-2002, 08:36 PM
defragmenting stops after about 10% done.

Using windows ME

Computer Pentium II

28-03-2002, 09:05 PM
Don't bother. Defrag always seems to cause a lot of hassles, when 99.9% of the time,you do not need to. Down load a Prog called Crackup. From memory it is from ZDnet, but a search via Google will find it. This will tell you if you need to.
Bye

28-03-2002, 10:05 PM
That's not a very helpful answer Peter :-(

This problem is common and I have copied and pasted some previous advice given below.

Turn off your screensaver for a start.

Then press 'ctrl+alt+del' and 'end task' everything except Explorer and Systray. Run defrag again should run right through.

If you still have problems it is recommended to reboot into safe mode and run defrag from there. To get into Safe Mode restart and as the computer starts to boot up, start clicking the F8 key (exact key may vary between systems but F8 is the common one), you will be offered several options, select Start in Safe Mode. Upon finishing the defrag restart back into normal windows.

This information also applies to Scandisk, which should be run before defragging.

28-03-2002, 10:11 PM
Have you stopped all running applications eg. anti-virus programs as it sounds like it is getting interrupted. Defragging is vital as a fragmented drive will slow things down quite a lot. I even defrag my drives when they say 0% fragmented.

28-03-2002, 11:53 PM
There are 2 things that make it possable for my old dunga of a machine to load images quickly; one is defrag and the other is wipe-free-space. My machine often turns into an utter pig b4 i get around to it. Anyone who trys to tell me that defrag is unnessesary, is either just trying to stir , or has an extreemly under-utalised computer!

29-03-2002, 08:45 AM
As my first posting said, De-frag appears to be the 'in word' to cure all ills. I did not say that it was not needed. Just to check 1st. I run a PII 233 - 4.3GB HD - put in all sorts of progs via the net and cover discs, but probally because I use GoBack to get rid of them, have not needed to defrag in the last year. Susan B's advice as usual is spot on.
Bye