PDA

View Full Version : Poo-ey computer, blank screens and other such...

28-03-2002, 05:14 PM
Hey ye ole' faithful,
my friend keeps complaining about her computer; here's what happens...
She goes to play a game of tetris (retro huh?) which is a lil' we game no more that 400kb in size. About two minutes into playing the game becomes very sluggish and then the screen goes blank and the computer sounds like it is about to take off, once various buttons are pushed you are returned to the desktop and nothing works so it has to be rebooted. This not only happens while playing games, but while using word, ie, pretty much anything.

Windows 95, 8gig h/d, 32 meg ram - thats all i can tell yas.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as she's at the end of here tether losing all of her assignments...

Have a good easter

mmmmmm chocolate...

Tonies R

:oP~~

28-03-2002, 07:21 PM
Have you checked the power saving features? They can do stupid things sometimes.

robo.

29-03-2002, 01:55 PM
hey robo,
what should i look for in the power saving features... i wouldn't know what was out of the ordinary?

31-03-2002, 02:02 PM
I agree that power settings can be a pain in the stability!
My machine is on 24/7, and i often used to wake up to seeing a blue screen, or a completely frozen computer. I found a button on the sceen labeled on/off, which i figured would make the 'turn screen off after X minutes' setting redundant, and i was right! All i have to do is turn the screen of when i leave the room for any real lenth of time, easy ey? Another thing that i found to be a total pain in the stability, was the screen saver, much to the horror of my 10 year old son, i no longer run one, it also helped stabilise the machine, particually with defrag/scandisk. I set the 'turn off HD' settings to about an hour, although this didn't seem to make any difference
It is now rare that i wake up to a frozen/crashed machine.