PDA

View Full Version : HP ScanJet 5100C

28-03-2002, 03:44 PM
My P/C at work has Word 2000 and Windows 2000 installed but my scanner fails to recognise Word as a destination. The only text based software destination I have access to is Text Files (.Txt). I visited HPs website and downloaded the patch(SJ700EN.EXE) but it would not unzip. I double clicked the icon in the hope of unzipping it but a message appeared on the screen that read 'This programe updates your scanning software'. There are two buttons to choose 'cancel' or 'ok'. When I choose 'ok' an error message appears 'Please reinstall the scanning application and try again!' I have tried to unzip it several times without success.

Any ideas?

28-03-2002, 03:59 PM
Phillipa,

Have you tried what the error message says to do and reinstall the scanning application??
This means reinstalling your *current* scanning software i.e. PrecisionScan.
Once you've done that then try the downloaded .exe file again.

Hope this Helps

28-03-2002, 04:50 PM
Dear MH

Thanks for your response.

No, I haven't reinstalled it and I am truly reluctant to do so because in the past each time we have upgraded Windows (eg from 95 to 98 to 2000) the scanner is always the first thing that isn't compatible upgrade and we've had to spend US$20.00 buying a new CD each time as there were no upgrades available via the web.

I may give it a go if I do get desparate, because basically I've decided that if it doesn't work I may look at purchasing a nice new and very cheap scanner that works (I saw one in operation yesterday that only cost $199).

Phillipa

28-03-2002, 09:42 PM
Hi Phillipa,

You didn't have to download that application version. The one for your model should of been: SJ269EN.EXE instead of the SJ700EN one!!

How far did you get through the installation? Any blue screens or sudden restarts even before or after the patch?

03-04-2002, 10:44 AM
Hi Justin

I tried to download SJ269EN.EXE and the same thing happened. I have given up.

When we upgraded to Windows 2K we had difficulty running the scanner and the computer engineer we used had to visit the HPs website to get the drivers and get it working. But since this time we have not had the ability of the scanner to recognise MS Word 2K.

I have spoken to our IT whizz who does not recommend that I reinstall the software which is something I am trying to avoid.

I think I'll be purchasing a scanner that is recognises MS Word as it's just not worth the hassle.

thanks for all your help.

Regards
Phillipa