PDA

View Full Version : tweakUI IE security bug

27-03-2002, 07:37 PM
Hi Terry, if you are there. This is a follow up to your bug fix. This is what I did.
Copied the shell32.dll file from my windows cd to a 3 1/2 disk, then rebooted to dos and using the delete command I deleted the shell32.dll in the windows\system folder. Then I copied the extracted copy of the file from the A:\drive to the C:\windows\system
When I rebooted, I got to the desktop and got an error box saying that the shell32.dll file is corrupt and cannot start. So I had to use goback to get my comp started again. I was wondering if you can see if I did summit wrong, and how would I go about it loaded without it being corrupt. many thanks again in advance. im a persistent little bugger, but those arrows really are a pain. Maybe Ill hybernate for the winter hoping micrsosft will have a patch by then (big grin) thanks

Gary R

27-03-2002, 07:43 PM
I tried the other way using system file checker & got rid of the arrows.
Give it a try.

27-03-2002, 09:07 PM
Hi Gary, your method should have worked ok. The reason I suggested re-naming the existing shell32.dll to shell32.dl_ was to give an opportunity to reverse the process if anything went wrong, or if using the old version of shell32.dll caused any problems not immediately apparent.

Are you using Win98SE or Win ME? There may be some difference between the two, Ive only worked with 98SE.

If you have used Norton Goback to restore the system as it was before the MS Update, I suggest copying the current shell32.dll to a temp. folder.
Re-do the Updates, then from DOS rename the new shell32.dll to shell32.dl_, then copy the old one back to the system folder and see if it works.

If you cant get back to before the updates were loaded, then I would still make a copy of shell32.dll in case anything goes wrong, and try using System File Checker to extract the file from the CD. Im assuming you have a full OS installation disk, afraid I dont know about recovery disks.

You get to System File Checker from:
Start button-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Information-Tools.

Click on the radio button 'Extract one file from....', enter shell32.dll, click Start, and enter the path to the win98 folder on your CD where it says 'Restore from',eg D:\win98, if D is your CD drive letter. I think there is also an option to save the file that will be replaced.

It wont replace the file immediately, the comp has to be re-booted.

I see it worked ok for Dave M, so give it a go.

Cheers.

27-03-2002, 09:48 PM
Just an afterthought..
Replacing a system file with an older version can cause problems, like saying it is corrupted or the wrong version etc.
Shell32.dll is quite a major system file, thats why it is important to have a copy in case things dont work.
It's possible that not all systems will work with the original shell32 file if there have been subsequent update versions loaded.

28-03-2002, 11:41 AM
Supplying:
Straws, one, clutching at, for the purposes of.

If you have a program that needs an older shared .DLL,you can copy the old .DLL to that program's folder and instruct the program to use that copy rather than the later shared one. (I'm hoping I remember how within the next 60 secs - it's easy to do, but I'm old...)

However, since TweakUI lives in the Windows System folder...

OK, so I just hid your straw in a haystack. I'm hoping that someone else will read this and know something I don't. (Hell, EVERYBODY knows something I don't.)

Hope that someone else helps a little more than I just did.

Cheers,
Alan Carpenter

28-03-2002, 01:56 PM
Hi Terry, first, I am using win98SE with a full clean install from the outset. then I dont have the 'file checkerin that folder, maby its on the cd?. Anyway, I may try your way when I can figure it out. This morn I decided to goback (i use goback3 by roxio) before I installed the patch. I will just have to live without the security on IE. I now have NO ARROWS, which is great. I would like to thank everyone who had some input in this issue and especially Terry for his fix which has helped some people, even me as Im learning something new everyday and this week has been a beauty. The other thing, is that there may be some that think I have made a big deal over nothing important, well that may be the case. Everybody has their little pet hates, mine happens to be 'those damn little shortcut arrows', and they catch my eye no matter what. Since I reverted the comp back 2 weeks to before installing the patch, theres no arrows etc and no dialogue box at startup asking me to enter a username ect....I AM SO HAPPY! :-). thanks all
Gary R

28-03-2002, 03:20 PM
Yes, you're right Alan, there's so much to remember! That's where some good reference books come in handy!

If different programs require the same DLL but different versions, then it's a good idea to put the DLLs in the respective program folders, as you say, so that the programs will access their own version.

But Windows doesnt allow DLLs with the same name to run at the same time, so there is a limitation on doing that.

Since shell32.dll is such a major system file, not just an icon file,it wouldnt be possible to have different versions running simutaneously.

What worries me a bit is that MS issued a new version with their security update, this must have been for a good reason. So the old version may cause the security update not to function properly, but who would know?

They would seem to have missed the shortcut arrow problem with this update.

I'm running the old shell32.dll with the MS security updates with no apparent problem, and no shortcut arrows, but have no idea whether the security update is working or not.
Maybe MS will find out about this and issue a patch for a patch.