PDA

View Full Version : ide runs as scsi causing problems

26-03-2002, 11:38 PM
i'll be stunned & surprised if someone can solve this.
all my drives show up in windows xp as scsi devices but they are in fact ide's. think this is cause of not being able to turn on/off disc caching or image my drives.
is this set in windows? bios? or where? note i have a
'hpt370 udma/ata100 raid controller'. this was to accomodate the ata100 hdd fitted. no raid array is configured

27-03-2002, 03:00 AM
My hard drives too show up as SCSI and they are running off HPT370 RAID Controllers too but they aren't causing me problems. Have you tried updating your RAID BIOS and motherboard BIOS?

I run the latest RAID and motherboard BIOS for my mobo.

My CD ROM devices aren't showing up as SCSI and they run off IDE1 and IDE2.

27-03-2002, 08:46 AM
i'm not sure with XP but windows treats raid controllers as SCSI devices. you can have problems if the raid controler is set to 'dissconnect'.

can you explain in detail on what the exact problems are ??

27-03-2002, 09:43 PM
Ive had exactly this problem this week with new installation of NT4 workstation. New upgrade kit, Duron900 -1stMB motherboard and older HDD. running VIAupgrade from motherboard cdrom. Nt4 running on viadsk device while atdisk and atapi disabled. Seemed ok before I ran servicepk6a. Now won't recognise the cdrom and is treating the ide HDD as scsi.
Been fiddling for 3 days -the computer takes 37sec at the 1st blue screen during boot. An older cdrom 36x would get to that stage and hang. Been trying all the obvious variables one at a time but if anyone can put their finger on it would really appreciate the advice. Next step is to try setup without the via drivers. Then new HDD and so on. (Frustrating as Ive just done 28 similar machines with no problems)
Spose I should check to see if they are running as scsi?!!
regards Don

30-03-2002, 11:53 AM
looks like the raid controller is the culprit. it was added only to adapt the motherboard so it could run my new hdd at dma/ata 100 standard. runs ok, my problem is that i can't turn off disc caching and i can't disc image with ghost 2002 or latetest drive image, both xp compatable.