PDA

View Full Version : Scandisk and Defrag problem

26-03-2002, 11:03 PM
Hi Folks,
I wonder if you can help me with my problem running Scandisk and Defrag of my Hard Drive.
I?ve got a 133 MHz machine running Windows Me with a DVD player plus a 250 MHz Zip drive and a floppy drive. The main software is Microsoft Works and I also have Norton Internet Security. In this configuration Scandisk and Defrag worked perfectly.
Just recently I had CD-RW installed plus some more RAM.
Since then I have installed PopupKiller, QuickTime and ZoneAlarm.
Now, when I run Scandisk the program runs for a few minutes, halts and re-starts from the beginning. A message comes up saying that something is writing to the HD. As far as I can tell, Scandisk never finishes.
I have checked that the Screen Saver is set to ?None?, Norton Internet Security, Norton Antivirus, PopupKiller and ZoneAlarm are disabled and there are no open programs. All the drives other than the HD are empty.
The same thing happens when I run Defrag, except that after halting and re-starting about ten times it does complete the job because it speeds through what it has already done and continues from there.
Thinking that the problem could perhaps be from ZoneAlarm, I uninstalled it, but this didn?t help. I haven?t re-installed it.

In addition to the problem referred to above, could you please tell me if ZoneAlarm would be of any benefit considering that I have Norton Internet Security?

Regards,
Dave.

26-03-2002, 11:27 PM
Had same prob until I was advised to 'ctrl+alt+del' and 'end task' for everything except Explorer and Systray.
Run scandisk again should run right through.

26-03-2002, 11:44 PM
In addition to Sam's suggestions. I also recommend running ScanDisk and DeFrag in 'Safemode' (as Windows starts up press F8 and select). This way nothing is operating in the background.

Stick with one 'Firewall' and one 'AntiVirus' and you're doing more than most. Nortons Internet Security is suppose to be fairly trustworthy.

27-03-2002, 03:28 AM
Reboot into safe mode and run both your scandisk and defrag from there. To get into Safe Mode restart and as the computer starts to boot up, start clicking the F8 key (exact key may vary between systems but F8 is the common one), you will be offered several options, select Start in Safe Mode. Upon finishing the scandisk and defrag restart back into normal windows

27-03-2002, 11:38 AM
Thanks everybody for your help. Running in safe mode didn't do the trick. So I uninstalled PopupKiller and rebooted in normal mode and both applications are now working perfectly.
Regds,
Dave.