PDA

View Full Version : More on the MS Security Updates/TweakUi bug.

26-03-2002, 08:08 PM
The posting below by Gary R, 'Tweak ui' and one by Mark B just over a week ago highlights a bug in the MS Security Updates, March 4-7 for Win98SE, and IE6.
The TweakUI Explorer tab for changing shortcut arrows becomes inoperable.

I have now looked at this in more detail, and whilst TweakUI writes to the registry with no problem, there is no effect on the icons.
So there is no point in manually entering new Registry values as originally thought as a possible fix.

One of the files replaced by the Security update is Shell32.dll. This contains default icons, and is also associated with Recycled folders. The new file is version 4.72.3812.600.

The original Win98SE shell32.dll file is version 4.72.3612.1700.

TweakUI can be made operable again by replacing Shell32.dll with the one off the installation CD.

The easiest way is to use System File Checker to extract the file. A re-boot is then necessary.
Shell32.dll is in Win98\Win98_41.cab

Alternatively extract the old shell32.dll to a temporary folder (you probably need the Power Toy cabview.inf installed to do that), and from a DOS re-boot rename the new shell32.dll in c:\windows\system to something like shell32.dl_
and copy the extracted shell32.dll to the c:\windows\system folder.
Then re-boot back into Windows.

I dont know what affect this fix will have on the security update, most probably nothing.

26-03-2002, 08:47 PM
Bit naff though, isn't it?

Well researched, Terry. You deserve a prize. I'll see what I can do. Might only be a t-shirt.

email me on the address given in PCW, with your address.

robo.

26-03-2002, 09:09 PM
Yes that has definitely got to get 'Geek of the Week'

JM

26-03-2002, 09:30 PM
Good one Terry, I've copied all that in case I need it in the future.

A suggestion: it might pay for you to have it in a handy file ready to copy and paste every time this question crops up from now on.

I wouldn't be surprised if it overtakes the weekly scandisk and degrag queries.

PS You are not allowed to pass your teeshirt (or other prize) on to your son this time! ;-)

26-03-2002, 09:48 PM
Hi Terry, very cool, I will be trying that out asap. Was very good of you to do this, Im sure it will help ALOT of people. congrats on getting the prize, you earned it for this one going by the number of corrospondants. once againg, many thanks, I love this Press F1, its a godsend along with all the people tha use it.

Gary R

26-03-2002, 11:06 PM
Awesome work Terry thanks for the hard work.

cheers