PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt Installation File

26-03-2002, 04:49 PM
I have Windows 98. I cannot install a clip art CD-Rom program on my computer. A message comes up 'error occurred - normally caused by bad installation media or corrupt installation file' and then 'corrupt installation file' comes up. Being a total beginner, I thought it was the CD, but after trying it on one of my schools antiquated well-loved computers and it installed within seconds, I realise it is my computer. I have tried the '98 troubleshooting for help, but can't find anything that I understand. I've had no problems installing in the past. Help!

26-03-2002, 05:38 PM
Don't panic. Often (too often) CDs will not be readable on a machine. The disk will be readable on other machines; the machine will read other CDs.

Try a different way of starting the installation. If it 'autoruns', try accessing it through Explorer, and clicking on the 'setup.exe' or 'install.exe' or whatever.

It nedn't be a fault in your computer --- it's one of those things which make playing with computers such fun. You also become very fluent at swearing.

26-03-2002, 06:15 PM
Thanks for reply and for putting a smile on my face re fluency in swearing - you are so right! Being a computer idiot, I wasn't exactly sure about your instructions. However, went to Run, typed in 'setup.exe' and the installation started, but with only 7 secs to finishing, the 'installation file corrupt' message came up again. Tried again (+ again) and every time this message came up before the installation could finish. It is a basic Win 95/98 CD-Rom with no frills or bells - have you any more ideas on why it won't install - or should I take to it with a hammer?

Elle

26-03-2002, 06:45 PM
Good one Graham, I totally agree. You can't use a computer without swearing. At my College everyone's all working away 5 minutes never goes past without someone swearing at the PC/software.

JM