PDA

View Full Version : i want to host web pages using Win ME. Possible?

26-03-2002, 01:47 PM
I have Windows ME with Norton Antivirus (has all the latest virus definitions) and Zonealarm 2.6.362 firewall installed.

What I want to be able to do is host web pages on my own computer but ME does not have IIS included.

(1) Where can I get a free program so I can host web pages on my own machine?

(2) Can I password protect these so only those people I allow can access these pages on my computer?

I am new to all this stuff so all the help offered as to how I go about it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :-) Regards Kim.

26-03-2002, 02:07 PM
Hi. What you're looking to do is entirely possible. However you're going to run into a raft of troubles if you don't know absolutely what you're doing. You'll need a static IP for a start, and if you're using a dial up account this may not be available from your ISP without a large fee.
I'd suggest just go to a free web host and upload the pages to their server - you'll have no cost or security worries.

27-03-2002, 09:55 PM
i am doing it now, there is a host of free programmes that do it for you, as previously mentioned you will need a static IP which in my case comes with my cable modem, i think this also comes with DSL, but cannot be sure. Obviously you are waisting your time trying to host anything if your connection is dial up, as dial up connection speeds simply suck.
I have just set up on my machine Anologx simple server, a windows based programme that is so simple that it took me 5 minutes from idea to downloading to hosting. i am also running zonealarm, and nortons AV but unlike you i am running 98SE
i have yet to move the domainname, but have a look at http://202.0.37.227 just as an example of home webhosting. Good luck.
BTW i set this up on a whim while unable to sleep 4:00am this morning!

28-03-2002, 10:12 AM
Thanks Chris.

I had a look at your webpage and think it is really funky. Nice one! How did you do the animated graphics with band members?

The work around with the static vs dynamic IP address is for me to use DNS2GO. A free and very simple program for dial-up users that once installed passes the IP address off to their web site which then redirects this on to the person accessing your webpages. If I am offline then the DNS2GO website redirects any webpage requests off to another page of my choice, eg, xtra homepage or whatever.

http://dns2go.deerfield.com/

I'll have a go at using the AnologX program that you mentioned and see how I get on. Thanks for the help, regards Kim :-)