PDA

View Full Version : Installing a CD-R

26-03-2002, 11:43 AM
I am wanting to install a CD-R on my 3 year old Gateway PC. I am as thick as the proverbial pig stuff and as old as Methusula but want to do this myself. Any traps or pitfalls I should know about before I start??

26-03-2002, 12:37 PM
Static damage. Have you done any work inside your computer before?

I assume you're installing an internal CD-RW.

JM

26-03-2002, 01:22 PM
Thanks for your reply. Yes it is an internal CD-R and no I have not peeked inside my PC. I am aware of the static damage factor, and will also get an earthing strap before I start

26-03-2002, 03:14 PM
If you alreadt have a CD reader then:

Make sure: 1) the CD drive is set to 'master' and the CDR other to 'slave' on the jumper settings on the HD drives. (or the other way round ie one master + one slave)

2) the cable plugs (IDE and Power) are well seated - it is easy for them not to be connecting.

3) BIOS settings to see the 2nd drive have been checked and drive is visible to the BIOS.

CD drives usually use a second IDE cable - not same as the HHD string - depends on how old the mother board is.

I also find it best to work on an old cotton (not polyester) sheet or something so when little screws etc drop you can find them again :-)

Make sure power is switched off at wall and plug is out before you open anything.