PDA

View Full Version : XP Software.

26-03-2002, 09:18 AM
From XP new boy.

I'm getting into the XP mode and trying to come to terms with it having come from years in Win 98SE. I still have the 98SE in dual boot mode just in case!

I have used many helpful programs in 98SE and want to emulate them in XP. Are there any specific sites that I should target (ie ZDNET) or are there XP specific sites?

For many of the programs, I have saved the .exe files. I know these can be copied to XP but will they run?

Programs such as those found on the PC World monthly disk, can they be used in the XP setup?

Finally, I rather like to use 'Quick View', a WIN 98 viewer program. It is on the 98CD in Accessories. Does XP have a similar program?

My XP setup uses FAT32.

Bryan.

26-03-2002, 09:45 AM
Hello Bryan,

Ive just recently purchased a pc with XP after using 98se.

To my delight, XP has accepted all the software that I had running on 98se, and there have been no problems at all.

my sugggestion is give it go

cheers,
Bob

26-03-2002, 06:40 PM
Hi Bryan,

From another XP learner. I have found if you right click on the .exe file for the old program you want to use, choose properties, you have two or three tabs to pick from. One of them is usually a compatibility tab. That one will let you specify which OS you used to have it running on, and XP will make it work.

I haven't used it much, but it has worked on the ones I have tried it on. Good Luck.

Cheers.