PDA

View Full Version : Large HDD

25-03-2002, 11:10 PM
Here's a quaint one! Wanted to increase storage on 2 servers running NT4. Bought 2 40GB maxtor drives. Ist server -PDC -pentium 200mmx recognised drive as 8Gb but worked fine. (expected this knowing the vagaries of NT)
Second server -BDC -Pentium2 350mhz would not recognise the drive at all. Found a 20Gb drive OK. The maxtor HDDs were not exactly the same but were new. Can I assume the bios of the 2nd server is the problem or is there something else I need to know?
regards
Don

26-03-2002, 12:41 AM
Sounds pertty much like a BIOS upgrade is in order. (if you're brave enough! Not for the fainthearted!) Some older BIOS won't read over 8 gig.

As for the second drive, you did have it set as a slave didn't you. (jumpers on the hard drive & set as slave in the BIOS)

26-03-2002, 01:15 AM
Go to http://www.maxtor.com/Maxtorhome.htm and feed in your model number. Read about disk Manager and Overlay software.

Also, be certain that you have the latest BIOS upgrade for each computer. I recently put a 40gig drive into a friend's 200MMX PC, which was at first recognised as 8gig.
It was necessary to upgrade the BIOS and run the overlay to get him the full 40gig. (actually about 38.6, but who's counting?)

Cheers,
Alan Carpenter

27-03-2002, 10:56 PM
Thanx fellahs. Yes Alan, I'm running the HDDs as slaves so it doesnt matter that the bios only recognises 8gb. I format them on another machine first and pop them in and NT sees the whole 38+GB.
I am just perplexed as to why the machine will not see the HDD at all. I expected to get 8GB at least. I wonder if its related to the other problem Im having at the moment (see posting by John Tester)
regards
Don