PDA

View Full Version : Comp crashing maybe CPU Stuffed

25-03-2002, 10:43 PM
Anyone tell me how i would know if my cpu is stuffed. I turn my comp on and it stays up for about 3-4 minutes then crashes. Then when i go to turn it on it does not boot up at all. I leave it for about five minutes and take the power cord out and put it back in and it boots up??

Its got me sumped. Any help would be appricated.

Thanks Jamie

25-03-2002, 11:00 PM
Sounds more like your Cpu's over heating or a powersupply problem. Check the computer to see if the Cpu fan is working. If it is over heating you may need to get a new fan.

25-03-2002, 11:01 PM
Sounds more like your Cpu's over heating or a powersupply problem. Check the computer to see if the Cpu fan is working. If it is over heating you may need to get a new fan.

26-03-2002, 04:24 AM
Yep my first thought was your CPU is overheating - this is a classic symptom of it. I do a lot of overclocking so have experienced this a bit. If the fan seems fine then check the heatsink has not unclipped on one side and lifted slightly (quite common as well).

26-03-2002, 11:33 AM
Ah ha, then that would explain why my PC keeps shutting down unexpectedly every 3 or 4 hours, I'll have to re-align my heatsink & fan (it was most annoying last night 4 hours into Star War Galactic Battlegrounds and she shut down and rebooted on me ....grrrr damn you rebel spy!).

But if it happens every 3 or 4 mins in then check your CPU temperature through your Bioss it'll give you a clear idea if it's running hot or not. As for mine I'd have to let my Bios sit for 3 or 4 hours before I saw any real temperature extremes, as it sits around 27 to 36 degrees normally with a gradual increase. so yeah I do need to re-align it.

Also if you may want to try some heat compound paste, it's pretty cheap and yuo can get it at any electronics store, the stuff conducts heat to your heatsink more efficiently.