PDA

View Full Version : Modem noises

25-03-2002, 10:30 AM
I did a Microsoft recommended upgrade for my modem - now I'm getting the modem connect noise. Been into Control Panel, Modems, Properties and used the volume control but doesn't stop the noise. While the download was installing I saw an modem control icon briefly on the taskbar but it disappeared. Any ideas, WindowsXP and IE6

25-03-2002, 11:51 AM
I actually quite like the modem noise, so you know what is happening during calling and handshaking.

Command should be ATM0 (that is a zero) to turn off the sound (ATM1 is low sound). You need to be able to talk to the modem, can use any terminal program. Can use hyperterminal if need be, or can try going in through control panel, modem, etc like you did before.
Give it a go.

robo.

25-03-2002, 12:02 PM
I think there's two places that you have to change. Modem properties you've done now you have to change dial-up modem properties as well.

25-03-2002, 04:13 PM
Thanks folks for your help. I have shut the noise down, found the second 'switch'as follows :
IE Tools / Internet Options /Connections / Settings /Properties /Configure then take the tick out of Enable Modem Speaker. The handshake I was getting was raspy and unpleasant. The above just in case anyone else is interested.

wlowscrk
11-08-2002, 04:32 PM
This didn't work for me and i still have that awful noise even though I turned the speaker down in one place and off in another. Any other suggestions? I am sitting here with a pair of earplugs in.