PDA

View Full Version : windows registry error

25-03-2002, 12:21 AM
my desktop encounter follow problems
1 upon opening computer...
saw message.'window registry error.' back up correcting error..this appears several days.

2 now cannot open pc. also more message..' this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down..'

is this a software or hardware problem . what can i do?

25-03-2002, 09:29 AM
Bernard

You will probably have to supply more information before anyone can help you. What operating system are you using Win98/ME/2000/XP etc.

Do you have a current emergency disk (you are supposed to make one when you get your computer andkeep it up to date).

It sounds like a corrupt registry and if you are using Win98 there is a procedure you can follow to restore an older registry file using DOS.

Search Press F1 for the word <sysbckup> and you should find an answer I posted some time back that tells you how to restore the registry using DOS commands when Windows won't boot and you don't have an emergency disk.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

25-03-2002, 09:38 AM
Bernard

I had a look and found the old post for you. Just as well too as I had misspelled the command sysbckup in my original post!

W98 has a command line registry restore facility.

You can restore very easily using scanreg and it doesn't matter if you have rebooted as Windows stores copies of the registry from your last 5 boots.

To restore the registry:

1) Click Start>shutdown>restart in MS-Dos mode. (If you have to do a hard reboot, hold down F8 and you will get to the boot menu - choose MS Dos)

2) You will end up at the dos prompt and should be at C:\windows. Add: \sysbckup and press enter.

(If you are at the root [C:\] type CD\Windows\sysbckup and press enter.

3) Next type scanreg /restore and press enter (there is a space between scanreg and the forward slash)

4) You will find yourself at a menu of five registry backups named rbxxx.cab.

Choose one with a date prior to your problem starting and click restore.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)