PDA

View Full Version : port prob

24-03-2002, 11:43 PM
hi
my computer had a hit by a virus so i formatted my harddisk ,this was the first time i formatted my disk since i bought my computer . i installed windows 98 se . i installed every single thing except i couldnt install my modem , i have 'lucent win modem' . some one told me that modem suppose to be installed on port 3 but there was no port 3 listed so i installed it on port 1 didnt work then installled it on port 2 didnt work it use to say error please check if ur modem is connected to ur phone line all though it was connected . there were only 2 ports listed the third one was for the printer . can anyone tell me why it didnt detect my third port or how can i make it detect . i tried re-installling tooo.

your help would as good as a gift from a god

25-03-2002, 08:44 AM
Those ports are setup for the external connectors. If you setup your modem on one those ports it will conflict and not work. Your modem needs to be added on a new port that doesn't exist at the moment. The drivers should automaticaly create it.

25-03-2002, 02:34 PM
You should have got a driver disk or CD with the modem, that will have the correct driver on it.

If you haven't got one, then you will need to download a driver on the net. Your modem is probably newer than your operating system, that is why it can't find it.

You could try running 'add new hardware' in control panel, and let windows search for new hardware. Sometimes it will find a port is needed and install the third one, that you need. It is just a virtual port.