PDA

View Full Version : For email: Netscape 6.2 or Commuicator 4.7?

24-03-2002, 01:36 PM
At present I am using the former. The latter contained a useful pop-up icon telling me when email was received. The icon appeared in the sysytem tray at the foot of the screen.
Now 6.2 doesn't do this for whatever reason (Gecko technology etc.) My guess is that the user has to enable the AOL instant messenger for anything like I require to occur. I do not want to enable AOL messenger.
What are my options? I could reload the latter from a disk I kept - but will the latter run alonside the former without any software conflicts? Please advise, you great knowlegable guys and girls, and thanks.
Signed: NH

24-03-2002, 04:20 PM
From what I recall it was seperate from Netscape so you may have luck getting it to work with NS6.

You could also try a 3rd party one, I ran this one for a while:

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/H.Tamminga/sytinem/

24-03-2002, 05:29 PM
It's now a separate program. It should be on your Start Menu, Under Netscape - Utilities - Netscape Mail Notification

If you don't see it, search your computer for Netscape Mail Notification (or just 'Notification') and run it. You should see a new icon appear in the Tray. Give it a moment to do it's thing, then right click and set it up the way you want it.

Cheers,
Alan Carpenter

24-03-2002, 05:31 PM
It's now a separate program. It should be on your Start Menu, Under Netscape - Utilities - Netscape Mail Notification

If you don't see it, search your computer for Netscape Mail Notification (or just 'Notification') and run it. You should see a new icon appear in the Tray. Give it a moment to do its thing, then right click and set it up the way you want it.

Once everything's under control, check out Opera. <evil grin> It's in the Browser section of most PCWorld NZ cover disks.

Cheers,
Alan Carpenter

24-03-2002, 11:22 PM
to bm: I'd rather use a compatible tool, so I'm off to check out http://search.netscape.com/
search.psp?cp=nrpusrll&search
=email+notification.
to Alan Carpenter: I ran my old NS 4.7 disk, but balked at the idea of re-installing it to get to the Notification file. Needless to say I had already uninstalled it.
Thank you both. Will post successful results, if any, when time permits. :)
NH