PDA

View Full Version : on or off?

24-03-2002, 09:46 AM
Have always wondered - whether or not my computer should be left on continually - or turned on and off twice daily that I use it?
Never did get a clear answer from the manufacturer - Conflicting stories from there
I am thinking mainly from there point of view of the wear and tear on components
anyone have a clear idea on this?
Thnks, Simon

24-03-2002, 10:06 AM
Hi. PC's are a bit like fridges - they can go on and on and on. But reason tells us that there is always going to be extra wear and tear on fans, monitor and drives, as you suspected, as well as the slight risk of overheating and a fire hazard if left on while no-one's around.

Windows however likes to be rebooted occasionally to free up memory used by programs that doesn't always get released properly after the app is closed.

24-03-2002, 10:09 AM
It doesn't really matter. Some people would argue you should turn off your computer so that you don't waste power and so that the heat does not wear out the components. Then you have the otherside saying you shouldn't turn off your computer because if you turn it on and off the solder joints expand and shrink causing components to come loose and faulty. But in reality it would probably take 10 years for something like that to happen, and i'm sure you would have replaced it by then.
However I think it's good to do a reset a couple of times a day if you have a low amount of resources. Windows programmes are notorious for memmory leaks. Reseting your computer free's up some of the memory stolen.
All in all. Their is no clear point on this issue :-)

24-03-2002, 12:13 PM
It is the thermal stress from heating up and cooling down that eventually will kill a computer but it takes years (although having decent cooling will slow it).

My compromise is to leave my system on all day from when I first use it, and turn it off when I go to bed.

And as has been said if your running windows 9x it needs a daily reboot to keep everything running nicely anyway.

24-03-2002, 10:32 PM
I usually leave this one running 24/7, crunching units in THINK.

JM

27-03-2002, 02:27 PM
Your machine wears out when powering on and off, eg the drive motors starting and stopping.

Like has been said leave it on all day and turn it off before bed.

Cool it down with a blower fan and an extractor fan (each about $20 at dick smith)

As for windows memory leaks. Hold down the left shift button while choosing restart from the shutdown menu. That will restart windows without restarting the machine.