PDA

View Full Version : Uncomfortable display.

24-03-2002, 09:07 AM
How do you get the most comfortable computer display?
Hours on the net are very wearying on the eyes.
I thought a large screen might help so I changed to 19' from 17' monitor, no real difference. I have played with the resolution but it didn't help much. Would a LCD screen be the answer or a really good video card. I have 2Mb card.

Any suggestions?

24-03-2002, 09:24 AM
monitors/tv screens arent meant to be comfortable are they? lcd screen will enhance and sharpen the picture. getting a monitor will filter the glare. how old is the monitor? does it need a service?

24-03-2002, 10:13 AM
Hi. An LCD will make a tremendous improvement. But if you're going to make the best of the monitor you have, you need to check what refresh rate it and your graphics card can support. It could well be that your low-end video card may only support a refresh rate of lower than 75 hz, which will be uncomfortable. Check this by left clicking an empty part of the desktop, click Properties, Settings, Advanced. Depending on your vid card you'll find somewhere there to check what your rate is - often Optimal is not the best settings, so if you can manually change it to something like 85 try it. In the remote chance that you have an option to go a lot higher than that, be cautious and ensure the monitor itself can support it without damage. As always, check your documentation, or the manufacturers website. A vid card upgrade may well be the answer.

24-03-2002, 10:38 PM
What Greg S said is correct. But you should 'right-click' on the desktop.

A video card upgrade would help a lot in being able to display at higher refresh rates. The size of the monitor matters but so does the quality of the monitor. What model of monitor do you have.

JM

27-03-2002, 02:35 PM
A new video card will probably give you more video options and one option that helps a lot is to increase the blue. (if you get a new card then post again with the brand and I can tell you how)

Blue is at the bottom end of the visible light spectrum and doesn't focus sharply on your retina and allows your cornea (eye muscles) to relax a bit