PDA

View Full Version : Missing media files

24-03-2002, 08:20 AM
Hope someone can help me with this.... a few weeks ago I used that clean up program Xen and in so doing I lost a few files...it has only been over the last few days that I have realised that I no longer get any sounds when things happen...as in new mail etc etc....my media sounds folder is completely empty...I have hunted everywhere for these wavs...tried restoring system files but with no luck at all...I know I can download plenty of others off the net but its not the same..lol...I just want my old ones back...lol

Would appreciate any help please.

24-03-2002, 12:22 PM
Hi Pam.

This is a nice easy one to fix.
In Win98 (probably similar for other flavours) go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs. Choose the Wiondows Setup Tab and click on 'MultiMedia.' Click on 'Details' and look for 'MultiMedia Sound Schemes' and 'Sample Sounds' and *Remove' them both by unchecking the box.

Apply this (Insert your Windows disk if asked, and reboot if asked.)

Now go back and this time Add them by checking the box.

That should get your old sounds back. To try the others go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Sounds.

Hope that helps.

As your Windows will now say on Exit, 'Tada.wav!'

Cheers,
Alan Carpenter

24-03-2002, 05:16 PM
Thanks Alan...but sadly I have to report no luck...I thought ooh wow an easy fix....but it seems that only a few of my windows wavs are still there...after following your directions I find that there are only a few sound wavs belonging to themes that have loaded up......no default sounds...no sign of any tada.wav or the email notify .wav so I'm afraid that unless I do a full restore then all is lost.....never mind...I was looking at doing it one day soon anyway just to get the whole system tidied up....lol

25-03-2002, 01:00 AM
Hi Pam,

There were quite a few of us that lost lots with that program. Hard work getting it all back the way it was. The author of Xen was informed, and has now made a new version that asks you now what you want to delete, instead of throwing it all out automatically. Still dont like it though.

Cheers.

25-03-2002, 07:58 AM
Thanks Alan...but I have no disc....my computer which is 2 yrs old this week came with w98se already loaded....I only have my Compaq restore disc which I only use as a last resort...scared stiff that it will take off and do a full restore as that happened to me not long after I got my computer...must have clicked the wrong button...lol.....so tread cautiously these days....and dare I say it...but I dont know how to go into Dos anyways......gee but does that show I am still a novice or what....lol....

thanks for your comment too Graeme....but I won't be having another go at it either....lol