PDA

View Full Version : Keystroke Protection

24-03-2002, 12:55 AM
A friend of mine has a son who considers himself to be a bit of a hacker and keeps accessing her online e-mail and messengers. She has disabled the password remembering option and he is still getting in. She has changed her password a dozen times and not written it down or told anybody.
All we can think of is that he is monitoring keystrokes as he has access to her computer.
Is there a way to get around this, perhaps a program that hides keystrokes?
Thanks.

24-03-2002, 08:59 AM
Hello,

Inform the ISP concerned, I'm sure they would love to catch him.

cheers,
Bob

24-03-2002, 09:21 AM
Unfortunately programs that hide themselves thoroughly on a computer, and monitor every keystroke, are prolific. It's very difficult to detect them, as they're designed to stealth themselves, and even if found thru the registry, may even be impossible to remove without a password.

I'd suggest that she saves all her data files and reformats the hard drive then reinstall only her own applications.

24-03-2002, 10:16 AM
U can try Access Denied.it's password protected when u turn yr puter on. 3 strikes and u are out! if he can't get into the computer i guess he can't access whatever keystrokes utility he has in yr puter! Good Luck

Gil

24-03-2002, 10:25 AM
Maybe your friend should consider an alternative remedy........discipline!!!

A) Bann him from the computer

B) Some form of punishment if he hacks

Some times prevention is better than cure.

24-03-2002, 05:05 PM
We could try the hide-the-power-cord option, but what we are really looking for is a practical application which will give some added protection for anyone entering online passwords on this particular computer.

I think either PCWorld or internet mag had something like that on one of their cover disks but I can't remember which one or when.

Perhaps one of the staff or writers can help.

24-03-2002, 09:02 PM
I had problems with my teenage daughter and internet access not long ago and, like you, was researching what big guns I could get to use against her.

I was stopped in my tracks by a knowledgeable person online who gently suggested that I try sitting down with her and talking about the issues that I had. He said that if I couldn't 'control' her now then I'd have no hope of a good relationship with her a couple of years down the track when it really mattered.

It was the best advice I'd received in years.

I didn't think she would listen to me, but to my enormous surprise she did and it actually opened the door to solving a number of other issues we both had as well.

Maybe your friend could also try that first?

24-03-2002, 11:13 PM
As I said before we are after practical application, not relationship counselling.

What happens if somebody else with access decides to do the same thing? It is a general increase in security that we are after.

Sorry to sound snotty but this is not a child or teenager we are dealing with here. The age of the hacker is unimportant.
My friend just wants to know if there is any application available that will let you enter passwords without them showing up anywhere.

I know the BNZ internet banking pops up a wee on screen keypad for you to point and click your password so you don't actually use the keyboard.
Is anything like this available for personal computers?