PDA

View Full Version : win xp

23-03-2002, 10:03 PM
hi

why dosnt win xp automatically run a scan disc when i improperly shut down the computer?

do i have to enable something?

I am running win xp pro

thank you

24-03-2002, 11:05 AM
David,

Windows XP is based on NT / 2000 and therefore has inhereited many of its features, one of these being the use of the NTFS file system. Unlike Fat 16/32 which is used under Windows 95/98/Me, NTFS is that it's a journaling file system. NTFS literally keeps a log file (Microsoft calls it a write-ahead log because it writes what it's going to do before it does it) of all changes made to the hard disk. That way, if the power goes out or the operating system freezes in the midst of a write to the disk, NTFS can resume the operation automatically as soon as the operating system is running properly again. Under the FAT file systems, that kind of situation winds up in file system or disk corruption. Windows 9.x runs to find and repair any errors caused by the incomplete shutdown.

24-03-2002, 11:18 AM
David,

Windows XP is based on NT / 2000 and therefore has inhereited many of its features, one of these being the use of the NTFS file system. Unlike the Fat file system which is used under Windows 95/98/Me, NTFS is a journaling file system. NTFS literally keeps a log file (Microsoft calls it a write-ahead log because it writes what it's going to do before it does it) of all changes made to the hard disk. That way, if the power goes out or the operating system freezes in the midst of a write to the disk, NTFS can resume the operation automatically as soon as the operating system is running properly again. Under the FAT file systems, that kind of situation winds up in file system or disk corruption. Scandisk is not required after a freeze when using NTFS as file corruption has not occurred.