PDA

View Full Version : Word 2002

23-03-2002, 03:49 PM
Hi,Still having trouble getting the 'apostrophe' to activate in Word.
Some kind person told me to change the 'normal.dot' to 'normal.old'. As I have no idea what this means, could someone please enlighten me..
Thanks Ron.

23-03-2002, 04:39 PM
I'm the culprit. NORMAL.DOT is a file which sets a lot of properties for any document you produce. Since we can't see a fix for your problem, I thought that it might worth trying to rename that file.

That will make Word NOT see it, and it will make a new one, containing the default settings --- NOT including your apostrophe behaviour (I hope).

I suggested renaming it (rather than deleting) in case you have made some changes yourself, which you might want to restore if this does not fix the problem. You could get it back by renaming again --- to 'normal.dot'.

[to anyone else: the problem was that the apostrophe key was giving a 'space'. I thought that this might be like the dead key accenting; but it could also be a Keyboard setting. But his keyboard setting seems OK.]

23-03-2002, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the reply Graham and apologies for not remembering your name.
What I have done since first posting the problem, is to put the disc in and click 'repair the problem'.
Unfortunately it didn't find any, so then I ran it again and this time clicked 'Reinstall' which it did, with the same result, no apostrophe.
It is definitely not the keyboard as it works OK in other programmes.
Could you please explain how I do this 'normal.dot' thing as I don't know were to look for it.
Cheers Ron.

24-03-2002, 01:34 AM
Just to help isolate the problem, try this.

24-03-2002, 10:51 AM
Thanks fellows for the reply, but still have the problem.
Graham, I tried the search for normal.dot and also normal.old and had a negative result.

Alan, There was no instruction in your message only '1'.

Cheers Ron..