PDA

View Full Version : IDE drive order

22-03-2002, 05:55 PM
I have 4 IDE drives - 20gb HDD (PRI.Master), 100Mb Zip (PRI. Slave), CD Writer(SEC.M) and CD Reader (SEC.SL). What is the best order to have these in? Does it make any difference? I'm having heaps of trouble copying and writing CDs (buffer underruns to complete freeze) and wondered if this might be part of it.
Cheers,
Ray.A

22-03-2002, 06:30 PM
Hi Ray,

Logistically your setup sounds good, but as for problems, have you checked your master/slave setups both manually and on Bioss?

Also for increased performance between reading and writing between two drives have you considered using a Scii card? Not that I have one (yet) in my PC, but buds of mine swear by them.

Best of luck,

Daniel

22-03-2002, 06:31 PM
Hi there Ray,

I have the same allocation of drives as yourself without issue.....

Order of priority goes like this:

1 Pri Master

2 Sec Master

3 Pri Slave

4 Sec Slave

They say for burning you should not have the source and destination on the same IDE....doesn't seem to make much of a difference in my setup.....

When are you getting underruns?? eg CD rom to CD writer>>> HDD to CD writer.

You could try slowing your burn speed down or if you are doing CD to CD copying try copying an image first then burn the image to disc.

Do you have DMA enabled on your drives?? if they support it. Another thing to look at is the type of IDE cables you are using, 80 or 40 wire....

what make is your CDRW??and what software are you using for burning, also what OS??

Hope this helps

23-03-2002, 01:40 PM
Thanks,
I've been through the buffer under-run problem a few months ago and discussed some of the problem on this site, but this freeze up is new. Could it be something to do with WIndows Update? That's about all that's changed on the system lately. I'm running W98se on a P3 550, PC Chips 741MLRT Mother bd, 370 Mb PC133 SDRAM, Seagate 20 Gb 5400 RPM drive, Acer CDRW 8x4x32 Writer, Adaptec Easy CD creator V3.5.
This is what's happened of late.
Case 1: Recorded a heap of Vinyl tracks to HD as wave files, burnt image to hard drive, turned off PC Cillin Anti-virus, tried to burn CD from image at 8x, PC froze. Rebooted, Killed PC Cillin, did test burn at 8X, PC froze. Tried at 4X, PC froze. Left PC Cillin on and successfully burnt at 4X.
Case 2: Used Adaptec CD Copier to copy data CD at 8X (PC Cillin off). PC froze. Tried with PC Cillin on - Buffer under-run. Tried at 4X, success.
I have burnt and copied at 8X speed before, but this is driving me nuts. I've got enough coasters to start a pub. Any ideas appreciated.
Regards,
Ray A.