PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Text-to-Speech for PDF files?

22-03-2002, 10:38 AM
I have so much reading to do that I wish that there was an easier way. Like having it read to me.

All the files are in PDF and my voice recognition software can't read PDF files back to me. It works with plain text though.

Another idea. Can I convert PDF files to a text format? I have Adobe Acrobat 5 (paid version).

22-03-2002, 11:14 AM
Just open the files and save as XXXX.rtf, then you can open it in word. If your programme cant open RTF docs then save as XXXX.txt from word...and your away.

22-03-2002, 11:30 AM
Excellent thanks a lot Tazzie.

Also I found that batch processing that did my whole directory of PDF files. Thanks a lot. You've saved me weeks of reading.

22-03-2002, 03:02 PM
Most of the text to speech programs that I have seen require you to select the text and copy to the clipboard, then it starts reading it.

JM

22-03-2002, 05:08 PM
I'm curious Kame - how does having your text read to you make it quicker to get through all your reading?

Will you be doing other things (like what, anyway?) while the PC is droning on and on, or what?

I'm not being smart, just nosey ;-) I actually hate having things read to me but I do see the merit in it in certain circumstances.

22-03-2002, 06:27 PM
Main reason: I get distracted quite easily and with all these distractions I feel like I'll never get anything done.

I have over a 50 never-ending pages to get through and very long paragraphs and making mistakes through my reading by skipping lines, re-reading the same line and just getting completely lost just takes a little longer than having my computer say it to me.

It's kind of like those reader rabbit programs. I just follow the words while the computer reads it to me. The computer reads way faster than me and I can keep up with it's speed reading easily enough.

It's working out pretty good but the end result will be to test my knowledge on what I've taken in. I just hope I can handle so much in that shorter time period.

P.S. Press F1 is my biggest distraction.