PDA

View Full Version : P3 700EB FC-PGA vs Duron 700

21-03-2002, 11:44 PM
Hi folks,

Is the P3 700EB FC-PGA a 'better' CPU than the Duron 700? What are the pros and cons between the two?

Thanks,

Asterus.

22-03-2002, 12:26 AM
The duron will have better upgradabilty as they use the socket A for both durons and athlons.

JM

22-03-2002, 12:40 AM
Yes well...

This one should start some debate......

Theoretically the P3 should be better....AMD's tend to provide better bang for buck....it really comes down to personal preferences. Newer AMD's really do out perform Intel's and the AMD's have a lot better overclocking capability than P3's.

What it cost me for my P3 1gig I could have brought a lot faster AMD but personally I like to steer clear of motherboards using VIA chipsets so a P3 it was for me.

You tend to find Chip owners are very biased, bit like car owners...you know the stuff...ford vs holden.

AMD's really come in to their own for gaming though and one thing I will give them is they don't change their pin out config half as much as intel do....try and buy a motherboard for an intel that will be current for longer than 6months....

The best way to work it out is to read some reviews and make your own judgement from there based on your needs vs budget.

Hope this helps....

22-03-2002, 11:32 AM
Go for the duron and up grade later main thing is to buy a decent M/board FSB 266 $ wise the AMD systems are far better value of course it all depends what you want to do with the PC, check out 2nd hand prices on trademe.co.nz plus new prices at Ascent.co.nz

22-03-2002, 12:44 PM
Hi Alex. Go for the AMD - sometimes cpu's really p you off, and the Duron will survive a good thump a lot better.

22-03-2002, 02:32 PM
AMDs don't give better overclockability, quite the opposite in fact.
Shame it's an 'EB' Intel cpu as you prolly could have done a 100-133FSB overclock on it otherwise. (with 133 Memory of course)

02-06-2002, 10:38 AM
Hi folks,

Thanks for your responses.

Regards,

Alex.