PDA

View Full Version : email set up?

20-03-2002, 11:20 PM
I am currently connected to Slingshot ISP. Recently I had a HD crash which was restored back to operational standards. Following this I loaded Win95 OS. Then the internet service was restored. I run Outlook Express for email. But a new problem has emerged. I can send emails but cannot receive.

Several times I have talked to Slingshot. Someone says something to do from there and still the problem persists.

I checked the Accounts, Options etc. and found everything normal. Incoming messages has pop3.slingshot.co.nz and outgoing ones has smtp.slingshot.co.nz. What else is needed to look at? The TCP/IP settings are also done according to the instructions given by Slingshot. They are not able to help much more than they have done, it seems so.

Today when I was talking to a staff of Slingshot, he asked me to send me an emailto myself and if I got it, the settings were OK. I did so and I got it. Is this right?
My past experiences tell me this is not right. I hve tried in the past to send me emails. It won't go at all.

I requested one of my friends yesterday to send me an email for testing. She did and rang me up today to ask whether I got it. I haven't!

Has anyone got any idea of what this is all about?

Cheers
Mukesh

21-03-2002, 01:13 AM
have you checked the message rules under the Tools menu?
Although it is unlikely a rule to block all senders has been set (after your reformat), its worth a try.

21-03-2002, 08:50 AM
You don't mention if you are using a firewall or anti virus.
I am thinking specifically of Nortons AntiVirus 2000 or 2001. I cannot recall off the top of my head but I have seen this twice before where Nortons AV has been installed and has allowed mail out but no mail gets in. It is something to do with the settings.
Could also be a firewall if the rules have been incorrectly set, eg, accidentally set to block rather than permit, I have seen that done.
Strange though that you can send a email to yourself, logic would say that if you can do that then all is well.
As the other reply has suggested, make sure there is nothing in the mail rules.
Also, if slingshot have web mail, you know your friend sent you a test message, see if it is still on the server or not.
Which brings up another interesting idea and don't laugh too hard, you have not misspelled any part of your address in the settings have you. Unlikely but lets cover all the bases.

21-03-2002, 09:44 AM
Sending youself an Email is the best way to test everything. Should come back instantly.
Bye

21-03-2002, 06:57 PM
Thanks to you all for taking time to reply to me.

But Gordon, I have to explain you on what you said.

Yes I have recently installed Norton Anti Virum 2001. One of my friends did check it in the Accounts. What he found was the incoming message box 'fitted' with Norton bla bla bla. He deleted it and put the smtp.slingshot.co.nz.

But it hasn't done anything good. I checked it again to make sure that it was there. The settings were correct.

Now where do I go. What are the Rules that you mentioned?
The name eetc are right. I do not know whether anything other than those have gone wrong.

Please reply Gordon. Thanks.

Cheers
Mukesh