PDA

View Full Version : my internet speed sux

20-03-2002, 06:15 PM
hi , i have a aztech cnr v.92 modem and iam running xp pro and i can only get around 44.0 kbps. I have spoken to alot of other people an they seem to be getting at least 50 something kbps. I have tried adjusting the modem properties so why cant i connect at a reasonable speed?
i am connected with slingshot.co.nz. if there a tool to speed up your modem that u can download? or is that the best i can get on a dialup modem?

thanks, any help would be great

jon

20-03-2002, 06:45 PM
It could be your phoneline, but the main cause is probably your modem.

Try updating its drivers, or get a decent one (ie external serial) if you can afford it.

20-03-2002, 08:48 PM
According to my modem icon i am only getting 44k,but when doing a file download this is equating to 4.5bps.It slows down slightly in peak period, between 7pm until 11pm on weekdays.

20-03-2002, 09:38 PM
It could possibly be your ISP provider. Slingshot used to be i4free and when I was using them it was painfully slow. It should be better now that you are paying, but...

20-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Hi Jon,44K is not a bad speed.There could be problem with the line,but to be honest,you may not get any better than that.My job is fixing internet connections for Telecom,and if I see a customer getting 44K,I usually tell them that's fine,and there is unlikely there is any more I can do.To get that extra 6K or so,may not be possible for a multitude of reasons,not just line quality,but also line length,modem used,drivers,other equipment on the line,time of day etc.Don't compare yourself with anyone else,you'll never be as good as everyone.
hope this gives you some ideas
Peter

20-03-2002, 10:08 PM
How do you check the modem speed. I dont know if mine is fast or slow, run the pitstop program as Pc mag said, didnt come up with much.
A to B instructions requested because I am a computer retard.
Cheers
Ted

20-03-2002, 10:34 PM
It might be a good speed for where you are. The phone system can be the biggest problem. Friends of mine only get 28000bps or so and I have used my PC there with the same results and yet I'm on 50667bps here. You only get the high speed in one direction and the other usually drops down to 33.6. I forget the exact reasons for that. These figures are just the connect speeds. More relevant are the download speeds of which I usually get around 4.8kps. External modems are a lot better and you have no problems with Linux.

21-03-2002, 12:55 AM
I use slingshot as my isp here in Auckland and constantly get connections of 53.2Kbps using XP Pro. (Used to connect at 52Kbps using Win98.)

Downloads from international sites usually around 6Kbps.
From NZ servers such as Auckland Uni it's about 8-11Kbps, even during 'peak' time.

21-03-2002, 10:10 AM
I use to be with slingshot to and was getting shitty connection speeds around 32000kbps. The thing was when i dialed up other isp's i was able to connect around the 50000kbps. I tried talking to slingshot but they were about as talented as a 1st year in a computer science degree.
So i swapped to e3 and have had no problems.

Also i see people saying that they are getting 8 - 11Kbps when downloading from NZ sites. If you connect at 50Kbps this is as fast as you can go! You can't download faster than ur upper limit. The reason you may record 8-11Kbps is because of error correction. eg, Your downloading a word doc and when u do the modem compresses it when it does this it records it as going faster than what it really is.

21-03-2002, 10:22 AM
At the end of 2000, i was living in a place with 3 fone lines, 2 came of one street, and one came from the street one block further from the exchange. As an expererment, i tried running my internet conection on all of these lines to see which would work best (as one would) one line gave me a connection speed of thirty something, and one gave me forty something. I cant remember the exact figure , but as obvious there was 10kbits/sec difference depending on which line. This is a factor that for others would be luck of the draw. The line i wanted to use, was of course the shittiest. Telecoms responce was the worst part. They said 'well its an old street so you get what you get..' Dont let this deter you.
If you are some distance from the exchange, you are actualy doing well. If you are close to the exchange, GET ON TELECOMS BACK!

21-03-2002, 11:53 AM
use a direct connection to phone input dont have splitters etc als o try downloader accelerator plus works great on my cable connection may help a little with a 56 k modem does multipal D/loads at once also resume etc

21-03-2002, 08:24 PM
thanks to all you guys who responed to my question. i'll make do with that connection speed then unless i switch to jetstream.

jon.

22-03-2002, 01:52 AM
Sorry to dissappoint u roofus, but ...

I am using a 56k modem connecting at 50.6Kbps, and when I go to PC Pitstop, the tests there show that it is performing above the limit set and no further adjustments are necessary. I commonly download between 5 - 7Kbps.

Cheers.

26-03-2002, 06:22 PM
All you are lucky you can download at 5K i can only download at 0.5k