PDA

View Full Version : Tricky partitioning challenge!

20-03-2002, 01:53 PM
So I got the new PC, and taking some well meant, but probably wrong advice, I partitioned the new 40 gb hard drive into 2gb (C:) and a 38 gb (D:) partitions (Fat 32).I am running XP Home and have Norton Utilities 2002, which has Ghost with it.

Theory was: OS on C:, and everthing else on D:. Good theory, but of course regardless of where you intend to install things a whoe lot of stuff still goes to C:. Consequently things are very tight.

If this was you, how would you re -partition and/or re-install the minimum of programmes from scratch?
I do also have a cd burner.

Sorry its so long winded- any suggestions greatly appreciated.

20-03-2002, 02:17 PM
Theo

PowerQuest's PartitionMagic will allow you to resize your C: partition without affecting your OS installation or any other data. Drawback is you have to buy/borrow it and I don't know of any freeware alternative. PM is 100% reliable so I wouldn't favour cheap options anyway.

I think PartitionMagic was on a PCW CD recently but whether or not it was fully functional I can't say. Maybe somebody who tried it might answer your post.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

20-03-2002, 02:26 PM
I wouldnt say 100% reliable because I did a resize on a 40/20gb partition on a 60gb last week it went to do the reboot and just sat there so I left it for about 6 hours overnight just to make sure but it was still locked up in the morning, so I rebooted and both partitions had been wiped clean off the hdd but I managed to recover some of my data, pitty. I have a big thumbs down for partition magic now. I would stick to the dos version if you can find it around (similar to fdisk but better) :P

20-03-2002, 02:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong- there are compatibility issues with XP and Partition Magic..

20-03-2002, 03:04 PM
Partition Magic 7 is compatible with XP according to the blurb.

As for your now very small C drive, resize it out to something a little bigger, I would suggest at least 5gb to about 7gb depending on how many programs you have.

Its everyone to there own for deciding how big for each parition but we use for example 7gb for C, everything else is in lots of about 10gb.
All the programs except some games are installed to C, all data is saved to ther other drives.

Makes for quick defragging to the smaller partitions.

The advice about partitioning was good, the idea behind it was sound, been there done that. Still does not ley you off the hook for backing up important data but if Windows or another program falls over and takes C drive with it, you can hopefully recover with minimumal loss if any.

20-03-2002, 03:51 PM
Since you're using XP, a single partition using NTFS would be the way to go. How you get there is up to you...

20-03-2002, 06:09 PM
Pretty good advice so far. Yes PM is compatible with XP. I have used it on my own box, and a friends with no probs.

The suggestion of 5-7GB is about right. Mine is 5GB.

I am a music buff, so I have split my remainder (30GB total) 2GB for data, and 23GB for music. The reason for this is that music files donot get modified, and so don't need backing up regularly - once onto CD is enough, however all my other stuff needs backing up regularly, and this would take forever if I was also backing up all my music each time. adding another partition makes this easier. I also have a wee 3.2GB HD for my backups (ghosts of my C: and D; [data])

So for you I suggest 5-7GB C: as suggested already, and the rest as one unless like me you have reason for more. If you chose NTFS as suggested above, you will lose your data in the process (although it should be backed up). Also NTFS will not allow you to install Windows 9x or ME if you ever decide you want a dual boot machine.

G P

20-03-2002, 10:00 PM
Partition Commander might be worth a look (similar functions to Partition Magic). In reply to a posting 'Partition Commander 6' om 18/3, one Ed Bickerstaff recommended it. Has anyone else tried it? I don't know about compatibility with XP which is presumably what you're using.

My personal partitioning strategy is Windows plus essential utilities on C (keep it simple to facilitate troubleshooting), general progs on D and data on E (facilitates data backups - 'backup E:\').

21-03-2002, 12:27 AM
Thanks for all the advice!
I will back up and give partition magic a stab...

Theo