PDA

View Full Version : dsl modems

20-03-2002, 10:22 AM
I'm currently renting a Nokia M11 from Telecom, and now want to buy a modem instead. I'd prefer another external but would settle for internal because of the price. Is anyone aware of a buyer's guide / reviews of the modems commonly available in NZ?
Has PC World published such a comparison?

20-03-2002, 12:04 PM
I am not aware of any buyers guide but I've noticed that the Dynalink RTA020 External ADSL/Router is one of the cheapest modems. I've seen it going for $288+GST still around $100 more than an internal though.

20-03-2002, 09:16 PM
Be careful about going to an internal modem.If you are more than 3K's from the exchange,you will probably have problems with drop off's,where you won't with an external.Also remember as always,you get what you pay for in the way of quality.
Peter

21-03-2002, 08:52 PM
I am using an Efficient 3060 speedstream internal modem, live 5km's from the exchange and consistently download at 2.8mbps...cool eh !!!

22-03-2002, 01:10 AM
I currently own a Dynalink RTA020 router, and have had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with it. In fact it has worked in places where the M1122 hasn't. It was easy to set up through web browser, came pre-configured and also comes with a local support phone number.

There is absolutely no performance difference between a PCI ADSL and a Router, however if you want to use multiple computers to access the internet, then its better to go for a router, you can achieve this with an internal, however, you need to you ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) software.

Hope this helps.

22-03-2002, 01:12 AM
I currently own a Dynalink RTA020 router, and have had NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with it. In fact it has worked in places where the M1122 hasn't. It was easy to set up through web browser, came pre-configured and also comes with a local support phone number.

There is absolutely no performance difference between a PCI ADSL and a Router, however if you want to use multiple computers to access the internet, then its better to go for a router, you can achieve this with an internal, however, you need to you ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) software.

Hope this helps.