PDA

View Full Version : Copy & Paste Files In A DOS Program Via Windows

19-03-2002, 09:09 PM
Is it possible to work around a DOS program's failed Backup facility by using Windows to copy files from the program folder then paste them into the program's folder on a different computer (same program - older info)Should this overwrite the files? I want it to as the DOS program's backup facility is working fine on the second computer.

19-03-2002, 09:39 PM
The short of it is yes you can copy the data files from one computer running the program to another, and yes it will overwrite any existing files of the same name.

There will be no guarantees whatsoever that you will be able to read those files on the second machine as it will depend entirely on the program in question.

19-03-2002, 09:42 PM
Hi Lynne

Yes that should work OK. As I understand your post, you wish to overwrite the defunct backup program files. It would be just as easy to drag & drop them onto a floppy disk then reverse the process on the original computer. You will get a warning that the file name already exists but click yes and the corrupt file will be overwritten. If it is a DOS program I'd try transferring the exe file first.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)