PDA

View Full Version : Virus made boot up msg???

19-03-2002, 06:39 PM
Hi. I somehow contracted a virus though my email, despite my Norton auto-protect efforts. the virus is W32.magistr.39921@mm virus and attacks exe files. When i boot up my machine now i get a message: 'no isdn device detected please install an isdn device' or words to that effect.
The 16 infected files it got were: MSOOBE, M5DRV32, SWINIT, UNWISE, QUITREMOTE, QUIKVIEW, DPVHELP, CFGWIZ32, DPLAYSVR, ACTMOVIE,MSCONFIG, REGWIZ, TUPISRV, TCMSETUP, TLOCMGR, WALIGN. All of which are exe files. If one of these files i need to replace, which one and whats the best way to do so.

help much appreciated thankyou.
>Karz

19-03-2002, 10:13 PM
Hi Karlan,

Symantec have full details of how to remove this virus at: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.magistr.39921@mm.html

Some viruses have a special removal tool available from the Symantec site which automates the virus removal but I couldn't see one for this particular virus, so unfortunately you will need remove it manually. Just take your time and follow the instructions closely.

Cheers,
Rod.

19-03-2002, 11:37 PM
Since Symantec apparently doesn't have a tool for removing this virus you might like to try -

www.mcafee.com/antivirus

I think you select the Virus Information Library. Haven't checked it out for a tool but I know it had info on this virus some months ago.

20-03-2002, 02:35 PM
Are you running Win98 or later? If so, run msconfig and untick the line from the startup section that contains the reference to CFGWIZ32.EXE as this is the file that is bringing up that message. Hope you got rid of the virus!

21-03-2002, 12:30 AM
Thanks guys, Norton automatically cleaned out the virus with a virus wizard, and worked extremely well. I found my scanner was the device causing the error message.

appreciate your time and help.
>karz