PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring Emails

19-03-2002, 04:56 PM
I run a small company which has a number of work stations connected to a server. Each work station runs a POP3 email account. Is there a way I can monitor what people are emailing or receiving, without their knowledge?

Thanks

19-03-2002, 05:16 PM
There is a way.

However, if you do this 'without their knowledge', the **** will hit the fan when they find out.

And they *will* find out.

There is a proper way to do this --- check with the Employer's Federation of some organisation like that.

19-03-2002, 09:41 PM
Don't see the problem, if it is your company and it is your ISP connection that your staff are using then within reason you should be able to do what you want. I would suggest however that you lay down some protocols for your staff as to what is permitted and what is not. I work for North Health and most staff have access to e-mail and some senior staff to the internet but there are protocols laid down as to what they can and can't do. All income and outgoing traffic can be monitored and persumably is, there is also a limit as to the size of attachments sent as we used to have problems with people sending large files, mainly photos and it was jamming up the server.
I was always told don't put anything in an e-mail that you would not put on a postcard.

I would agree with the comment about the Employers Federation though, number will be in your local directoy.

PP

20-03-2002, 12:19 AM
I would be very careful to find out whether you are legally entitled to 'read' their emails without them knowing. Be very careful where you tread...