PDA

View Full Version : no 'fat'

19-03-2002, 10:46 AM
I have picked up an older PC and decided to reformat and reinstall win98, however after I run the startup disk I get a message that win98 has detected that C: drive does not contain a valid FAT or FAT 32 partition. There are several possible causes.
1/ The drive may need to be partitioned & to partition the drive run FDISK from the DOS prompt.
2/ I may be using a third party disk partitioning software.
3/ some viruses can cause your C: drive not to register so use a virus scanning programme to check for viruses. However these are my immediate problems.
Problem 1/. Am unable to run FDISK, I get a message 'no fixed disks present'
1a/ Unable to reformat I get a message 'format not supported on drive C:' format terminated.
1b/ Unable to reinstall win98 'insufficient memory'
2/ I am not familiar with what is on the PC as to whether there is third party disk partitioning.
3/ Unable to run win98 from startup, advised of 'DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER'.
When I do put in the startup disk I go back to problem #1

So I am really stuck in DOS- Mode only and Would appreciate any help.

19-03-2002, 12:57 PM
It sounds like the Hard Drive is not setup correctly in the BIOS. You need to get into the BIOS (usually by pressing DEL on boot-up) and check that the HDD is listed. If not there should be an option to Auto-Detect HDD's. Remember to set it to LBA mode if it is bigger than 540MB.