PDA

View Full Version : BLACK SCREEN

19-03-2002, 10:03 AM
I changed the resolution on my computer at home (which is a 1998ish 233mHZ Hewlett Packard Pavilion, if that makes any difference)from 'High Color' to '256 Color' and immediately the screen went black. A message comes up which says something like 'Self Diagnosis: PC Display settings correct?' I can't work out how to get my screen normal again. Can anyone offer any suggestions? By the way, if I switch the computer off then on again I can see the warm up process and the initial Windows 98 screen before it goes black.

19-03-2002, 10:50 AM
Start in safe mode and change back to original settings. Some monitors & video cards will not accept higher settings, allthough you are normally warned about this before the changes are made.
Bye

19-03-2002, 11:05 AM
To Peter H

Thanks for your prompt reply. I realise that I need to change the settings back again but am unsure how to do this as I have a black screen in front of me. Can you give me further details?

Thanks
Michele A

19-03-2002, 01:31 PM
Start in safe mode, From memory you hold down F11, after initial bootup, and before the splash sceen comes up. Try F8, if F11 doesn't work.

Then you can put the settings back to what they were, and reboot.

You should be able to go from 16 bit high colour to 256 colours, without any problems. Are you sure you didn't go the other way?

Make sure the right drivers are installed for your monitor and video card, and not some standard ones.