PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get more C drive memory

18-03-2002, 08:44 PM
I had my hard disk split into three seperate drives(C, D and E drive). As a result my C drive is running out of memory while the other two drives are 70% unused. I only have approximately 40MB of memory left in the C drive and have to uninstall some of my programs when prompted by the system.
What do you suggest I do to get more memory C drive memory. I don't want to lose anything so formatting my computer again is not an option.

18-03-2002, 09:39 PM
You can use Partition Magic to resize partitions non-destructively.

In the mean time you will get a performance improvement if you move the virtual memory to one of the other drives.

18-03-2002, 10:35 PM
The most logical suggestion would be to start using your D: and E: if they are 70% unused.

Provided of course that the partitions are formatted to be accessable by your operating system, you can place files on any partition you like.

If you use partitions, a good idea is to place data files on one partition, and program files on another, then when you have to reformat your computer, you dont have to worry about losing all your important data files, simply format the program partition.

18-03-2002, 11:03 PM
You haven't said what size your drive and partitions are. Depending on the size of Drive C shift all or some of your folders from C to D or E
(but leave Windows on C), as Ian W. has suggested. It is a good idea to keep at least 100MB (up to 200 or more if practical) of free space on C as some programmes require this amount of free space temporarily on C for use during installation (even if they will finally be installed on a different drive).

Another good reason for having all data on a dedicated drive is that is that it simplifies backups - you backup your data drive (eg backup e:) frequently and the programme drives only when you have made changes.

Depending on how it is set up, the Temporary Internet Files folder can be a space hog. It can be shifted from within Windows to another drive by way of Tools, Internet Options.