PDA

View Full Version : WebWasher3. Server Rights?

18-03-2002, 04:43 PM
I was interested in the WebWasher3 programme that came in this months PC World BUT when I came to install it I baulked at it wanting to become a proxy server and then Zone Alarm said it wanted server rights with an exclamation mark as if to indicate that was a bad thing. I do not fully understand the implications of allowing this programme to be a proxy server. Am I being over cautious? Can someone explain the implications to me. Thanks a million.

18-03-2002, 05:47 PM
I use webwasher with a firewall.

Firstly webwasher only sends and recieves traffic through port 8080 for web browsing. I ran the firewall test at www.grc.com and I was still secure with webwasher running.

Secondly. In webwasher there is an option to make webwasher into a server, but it still only serves webbrowsing through port 8080.

Webwasher works by telling your browser that it IS the internet (by acting as a proxy server on 127.0.0.1 which is the loop back address for your machine - so it's safe)

So you have to say yes to zone alarm, let it act as a server. Really, it only sounds scarey :)