PDA

View Full Version : I have lost 'D' drive

18-03-2002, 04:36 PM
Running windows '98. Was using Cd rom in the weekend with no problems. Went to use it today (just purchased NAV 2002) and CD rom door would not stay closed?? Clicked on 'My Computer' and to my horror my D: drive is gone. Can someone help me reinstall.
Cheers

18-03-2002, 05:36 PM
Unless the CD is something really old, there is nothing to install.

You need to check if your bios is detecting the CD rom when you boot up.

If it does, then windows will install it automatically.

If it doesn't, then either you need to go into your bios and make sure it is set to auto detect, in Secondry master, or secondry slave, depending how you have set it up.

If you still can't detect it, lift the bonnet, and check cables are on secure. If they are, and it is still not detected, it might have died.

If you have been mucking around in the bios, in the past, there are some other things that you could have done wrong, so come back if you need more help.

18-03-2002, 06:24 PM
if the 1st idea dosnt work, u can try to start up with a bootable floppy, and choose cd rom support, ittl install a oak cd rom driver for you, or go into add new hardware, and choose to install from a list, then atapi drives, click hav disk and locate the driver for it, that'll prob work to, hope it works out :)

jimmy.

18-03-2002, 10:21 PM
thanks guys, in my panic the bootable floppy came out, not sure what I did but 'D' drive came back. thanks for responding.