PDA

View Full Version : Post XP Upgrade Internet Hiccups

17-03-2002, 10:52 PM
I am running IE6 under Windows XP Pro. with Slingshot as our ISP. Ever since we upgraded to XP from ME we have had two niggly problems that I don't seem to be able to get around.

1. When someone else lifts up the phone in the house the internet connection drops out - in the old days the person on the phone was greeted with the internet noise, but didn't drop out. It's particularly painful when you are halfway through a download.

2. Sometimes when we are connected and we close either IE or Outlook Express and then try to reopen them the program reopens, but won't link to the server. It says 'The host 'pop3.slingshot.co.nz' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'Accountname', Server: 'pop3.slingshot.co.nz', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D'.
It will only reconnect if we reboot.

Do you please have any advice related to these problems.

19-03-2002, 01:27 AM
Hi Russel,

'1. When someone else lifts up the phone in the house the internet connection drops out - in the old days the person on the phone was greeted with the internet noise, but didn't drop out. It's particularly painful when you are halfway through a download.'

Do you have Call Waiting activated on your line?

19-03-2002, 06:08 PM
G'day Graeme

No, we don't have call waiting. Good try though.

Cheers Russel