PDA

View Full Version : Xtra and Jetstream usage

17-03-2002, 08:53 PM
Anyone suggest how I can better monitor our Jetstream use? Had it for 3 months now and the usage seems to vary heaps though we haven't been doing heavy downloading. (No MP3 files etc!!) Jetstream Usage info on Xtra less than helpful.....
We're used to the more detailed info provided by Iprolink which tells me what we did with what on which day etc.
Thanks
Jane

18-03-2002, 12:28 AM
Xtra doesn't provide any extra info for you other than what you find on the Jetstream usage page unfortunately, so it's better to monitor it yourself through a software program. If you go to Tucows' website, in particular http://www.tucows.co.nz/connectionmonitoring95.html
you can find a range of internet monitoring programs.

However, these will generally not tell you specifically what things you have been downloading. It may be a good idea, if you want to find out why you are getting such varied download stats, to look at the programs you are using when on the internet, as many programs do not need to be that heavy on kb/s to use up a lot of bandwidth over a long period of time.

For example, if you like listening to streaming radio channels you can easily be guzzling 60 Megs an hour, even though it doesn't download that much per second.

18-03-2002, 09:31 AM
Hi Jane

You can request from Telecom a report regarding your usage. This report comes in the form of a Excel spreadsheet. The report shows by the hour the amount of information up loaded and downloaded. It won't show you which sites you connect to.
Hope this is of some help.

18-03-2002, 09:50 PM
Thanks Chris & AJ. If we were listening to streaming radio I'd agree with you Chris but alas we haven't...

Will try tucows and Xtra - thanks for the tips.

Jane